Evinrude timing questions

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a few questions w.r.t. the timing on my '90 40hp Evinrudes. <br />1. No 1 cylinder, is it the top cylinder?<br />2. Timing decall on air intake states 19 degrees, is this sufficient for running 93 octane unleaded at altitude and 95 unleaded at the coast?<br />3. Is the 19 degrees at wot?<br />4. Can a "normal" auto timing light be used to check timing? <br />5. If so, how do I link it up?<br /><br />Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude timing questions

RudeAfrican....You asked:<br /><br />1. No 1 cylinder, is it the top cylinder?<br /><br />Yes, the top cylinder on the starboard (right) bank.<br /><br />2. Timing decall on air intake states 19 degrees, is this sufficient for running 93 octane unleaded at altitude and 95 unleaded at the coast?<br /><br />Yes, you are correct.<br /><br />3. Is the 19 degrees at wot?<br /><br />The 19° pertains to the timer base under the flywheel being up against the full spark advance stop screw, the one with the rubber button on it. This will take place without having the throttle butterflies wide open.<br /><br />However, if you're going to set the timing with the engine running, it's best to do so at full throttle.<br /><br />4. Can a "normal" auto timing light be used to check timing?<br /><br />Yes<br /><br />5. If so, how do I link it up?<br /><br />The timing light power cables of course will be connected to the battery. If you have an induction type light, the loop will simply have the spark plug wire go through it. If you have the direct type light, attach the adapter (whatever) on the s/plug and attach the s/plug wire to its other end.<br /><br />You can also time or check the timing of the engine without having it running as follows:<br /><br />(Timing At Cranking Speed 4°)<br /><br />The full spark advance can be adjusted without have the engine running at near full throttle as follows. <br /><br />To set the timing on that engine, have the s/plugs out, and have the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary). <br /><br />Rig a spark tester and have the spark gap set to 7/16". Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4° less than what the engine calls for. <br /><br />Your engine calls for 19°, set the timing at 15°. The reasoning for the 4° difference is that when the engine is actually running, due to the nature of the solid state ignition componets, the engine gains the extra 4°. <br /><br />If you set the engine to its true setting at cranking speed, when running it will advance beyond its limit by 4° which will set up pre-ignition causing guaranteed piston damage! You don't want that to take place. <br /><br />No need to be concerned about the idle timing as that will take care of itself. The main concern is the full advance setting.

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for making the effort to give me such a detailed answer Joe, very much appreciated. If you were ever in this area, I'd buy you a few pints.

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have just had a chance to check out what Joe said about the full spark advance screw and noticed the following 2 scenarios:<br /><br />On my starboard engine, the full spark advance screw (FSAS) seems to "move" when the flywheel is turned ie the rubber cap touches the base then moves away, then touches again and moves away again. This happens 3 times during 1 revolution of the flywheel. Movement is about .5 to .75 of an inch. Thottle is closed.<br /><br />On my port engine the FSAS does not move away from the base plate at all when the flywheel is turned by hand. <br /><br />Which one is wrong and what do I do to correct?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />PS it is a 40hp 2 cylinder motor, not a v4

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

The problem with the "moving" full spark advance screw was resolved by taking up the slack in the throttle cable.<br /><br />A further question: In Joe's description of setting the timing at cranking, he refers to wiring the full spark advance screw to the base plate so that no movement takes place and have the trottle @ wo. Am I correct then to assume that the timing advance must be forced back? and if so, why have it @ wot in the first place?<br /><br />Thanks