1990 Evinrude V-4 90 REBUILD PROJECT

BOATRIGHT

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, I am letting one of my babies go,It still runs stong but a compression test showed two low cylinders so it needs rebuiling.I was hoping to do my first rebuild on it this winter but I need the money elsewhere.any way take a look web page

D

DJ

Re: 1990 Evinrude V-4 90 REBUILD PROJECT

Boatright,<br /><br />Are you sure you don't just have a couple of stuck rings?<br /><br />You can decarb. it and the compression might come back. Maybe you'll want to keep it or, at least you'll get alot more for it.

BOATRIGHT

Seaman Apprentice

djohns19 ,I did run two cans of decarb thru with no improvement,so I am figuring it needs rebuilding.

D

DJ

Boatright,<br /><br />Are the two "low" cylinders on the same side?<br /><br />If so, a head gasket could be the culprit.<br /><br />Don't want to run you in circles here-just trying to save or make you a few bucks.

BOATRIGHT

Seaman Apprentice

djohns19 ,I started motor after setting for a year and did a compression test it was 110 70 100 100.Head gaskets seem to be fine.

D

DJ

boatright,<br /><br />The only one that is out of sorts is the 70 psi. That still could POSSIBLY be a head gasket.<br /><br />It won't hurt to pull the head off and have a look. You'll know then if you have deeper trouble.