Exhaust Oil Leak

fredmfl

Cadet
I have a 90 hp 1994 Johnson V4 outboard that runs terrific in all rpm's.<br /><br />Just lately, I have noticed that a black tar like substance oozes out from under the cosmetic <br />skirt that mounts just below the bottom case under the engine. I suspect it is excess <br />unburned exhaust oil. It readily wipes off with a rag. The leak was running down the down <br />shaft case in front and in back.<br /><br />I removed the skirt and found that there were two studs coming down from the engine <br />that had loose nuts (1/2"). <br />I tightened these nuts and the leak stopped in the back BUT I still get a leak running down <br />the front of the down shaft from under the lower engine case.<br />I can't find any bolts, stud or nuts that can be easily accessed that come down from the<br />engine block but the whole cavity just under the engine is black with ooze. When I parked <br />the boat overnite with the engine up, it left a puddle. But no ooze on the rear side where I <br />had tightened the nuts.<br /><br />We used the boat to do about 6 consecutive hours of trolling [no high speed use before<br />loading the boat].<br /><br />Can some one out there give me an idea of what can be done to stop the leak or has the <br />leak stopped and I'm getting residual oozing after tighening those two nuts?<br /><br /> fredmfl@yahoo.com

vinney

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Exhaust Oil Leak

A new base gasket and decarb the motor every 50 hrs. V

DB.Beachum

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Exhaust Oil Leak

Vinny is right,you need a base gasket(gasket between powerhead and exhaust adaptor)the reason why you see in the front is because that is where the exhaust dumps I have seen acouple of the 90s do this the powerhead has to lifted from the midsection to replace gasket,it's not a bad job if you have worked on ob's before