'89 Johnson VRO controls?

Gwillis

Recruit
My controls for the above motor do not have any provisions for increasing idle speed without putting motor in gear. Is there any way to add this feature without re :cool: placing controls? Second,I have read about "fast start" feature on some motors. Mine doesn't seem to rev higher when cold started. With the above control this creates some problems when trying to cold start. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: '89 Johnson VRO controls?

What is model/hp of engine, and what kind of control. Some controls , when you pull outward on the handle will disengage the shifter.

D

DJ

Gwillis,<br /><br />Do you have "binnacle" (mounted on top of a console) type controls?<br /><br />Most binnacles have a button that is pushed or pulled to disconnect the gear shift cable allowing throttle advance.

Gwillis

Recruit

Sorry for the delay in replying. The Model # is J60ELC; SN/G2315929; 1989 60HP VRO Johnson. Yes, I have binnacle style controls. I've pulled, pushed, prodded every part of this control and I cannot find ANY way to disengage shift from throttle control.

ob

Admiral

Gwillis, As djohns suggests, is there no black rectangular button just to the right side of throttle lever?If not ,thats strange for a 89 control.

Gwillis

Recruit

I will try to borrow a digital camera for pix. I have seen the button you mentioned on other controllers; I do not have that button anywhere on my control. When you speak of pulling out on handle, I've tried but doesn't seem to move at all. You could be correct about not being used in a while. I bought the boat used approx. 1 year ago so I have no knowledge of prior owners use. I'll pull the controller this weekend and see if corrosion is causing problem. Thanks for you replys.

Gwillis

Recruit

I was able to figure out controls today. The handle finally pulled out after some manipulations! Thanks for your help!