1950's Johnson OB

dpropson

Seaman
I just bought a new woody and would like to put an old outboard on her. I am particularly fond of the 1956-1959 Johnsons. Does anyone know of a source for these and other old motors and parts? Also, any suggestions on good, vintage motors especially considering the availability of parts is appreciated. My new boat is a 16' runabout. What do you think is the high-end horsepower?

Edson15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1950's Johnson OB

E-bay is a good source fir these motors. There is generally a few evevery day.

My service manager has several motors that he personally collects that fall in this range, as well as some in our salvage yard that are good candidates for rebuild. These engines range from salvage motors to some needing slight work to the ones in his collection that are in near mint condition, and some that look like they just came off the showroom floor last year.<br /><br />Let me know what horsepower you are looking for, the kind of condition you are looking for, price range, etc, and I'll see what I can find for you. Drop me an e-mail for more details.

dpropson

Seaman

Russell,<br /><br />I left an email recently. Thanks a lot for the help.<br /><br />Dennis

dpropson

Seaman

Another thing....<br /><br />I have seen much more available in a 30 or 35 horse Johnson from 1957 than I have from 1956. Are these models that much different? I would like to know I could find parts redily available.<br /><br />Dennis

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Some everyday generic parts are available at<br />NAPA auto parts. Coils,points condensers,water pumps.They have a 600 page Marine products<br />catalog with 67 pages of E/J parts.<br /> Some of the branches dont have a clue but a main store should know all about it.<br /> A dealer should also be able to help as well.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Dennis,<br /> The 1956 30hp is not quite 36 cubic inches, while the 1957 35hp is a little over 40 cubes - same stroke. Many parts are interchangeable, other than the cylinder head, block, & pistons. From the belly-pan on down are pretty much identical. Magneto parts, carb parts, lower unit seals, impellers, hoses, tank rebuild kits, some gaskets are all still readily available. Other parts might require a bit more hunting around. <br /> One word of advice - I see similar motors go as swap meets all the time for $50-$200 depending on condition. Beware of some motors on eBay, as they tend to be overpriced. There are deals to be had there, but there are also some motors with reserves that are outrageous. Those motors are fairly common - don't be fooled by "rare" and "unique" descriptions...<br />- Scott

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />Mayers marina in Rochester,NY sells and services these engines.They are willing to give some sort of guarantee on their workman ship as well.<br />You can reach them at 585-323-1010.They usually close towards the middle of November.