'89 88hp evinrude spl

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I have a '89 88hp rude w/ a 20" shaft. Can the shaft be extended to 25"? The engine runs great and am looking to get a different boat. Is this possibe or even a good idea?<br /><br />Thanks........

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '89 88hp evinrude spl

Howdy, FBT.<br /><br />25" shafts are commonly used as aux. on sailing vessels.<br /><br />Your lower end and drive shaft should interchange with that of a 25" engine.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

FreeBeeTony

Captain

JB,<br /><br />Right now I have a runabout with a 20" transom, I am looking into a boat with a deep vee hull that would require a 25" shaft. Can my engine be extended to 25"?

clanton

Rear Admiral

You will need a 25 inch exhaust housing, and 25 inch drive shaft.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

So it can be done? I'm thinking of doing this because I got a good deal on the engine and it seems to be in good shape. Is this a job I can do myself? I replaced the waterpump and thermostats without a problem (I'm pretty handy). Are any special tools needed to replace the drive shaft? Does the shift rod also need to be replaced?<br /><br />Thanks again...........

D

DJ

freebeetony,<br /><br />In the least you will need to:<br /><br />1. Change the exhaust housing-this is complicated, it requires basically dismantling the entire mid section.<br /><br />2. Change the driveshaft.<br /><br />3. Change the shift linkage.<br /><br />4. Change the water pick up tube-again this is complicated-requires powerhead removal along with #1.<br /><br />All of this as a minimum. I'm not sure if crossflow V-4's were even available in 25". If they were, used parts are going to be rare.

D

DJ

FreeBeeTony,<br /><br />I'm still not sure if the crossflow V-4's even offered a 25". I would secure parts before I took it apart.<br /><br />You may want to hail Dhadley, John from Illinois or Joe Reeves on this one. Those guys are closer to the actual product offerings that OMC had.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Thanks djohns19...........I will try these other guys.<br /><br />Tony