flywheel removal

ssss5358

Cadet
I have a 1988 Evinrude VRO V4, 110 HP, 2 stroke. I need to replace the stator and the rectifier/voltage regulator. To do so I need to pull the flywheel. I do not have an impact wrench an so will need to hold the flywheel stationary to remove the bolt. I do not wish to damage the flywheel and am wondering if anyone can suggest a good way to hold the flywheel stationary while I remove the bolt and also while I torque it back down. Any others tips about this job are welcome too.<br /><br />Any help you can be would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Steve Smith

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer
Re: flywheel removal

Hello ssss5358,<br /> The proper way to do this is with a flywheel holder, but if you have a large flat tip screwdriver place it in the fly wheel teeth and let it wedge itself between the teeth of the starter bendix. I have done this many times and have never had a problem taking the nut off or torqueing it back on.<br />Good Luck

ssss5358

Cadet
Re: flywheel removal

Thanks captain. I went ahead and bought a flywheel holder, it was only $25.00 so thought it a good investment. Should have the flywheel off soon. Thanks for the advice.<br /><br />Steve