old 1967 evinrude 18

jimraelee

Cadet
Well, as mentioed before Im bringing the boat out of hibernation from 2 yr sitting.. and did manage to get it to start. I find that a squirt in the carb throat then choke on makes her start quite nice... like 2-4 pulls. But anything I can do to eliminate the squirt of WD40 to use for priming??? Also.. at low idle I think im having ignition issues... I get a "chunk" every now and then.. goes away at curise.. only hapens a low idle. I dont have an old points tester to verify the ignitition... need to find on I guess. Im reading thats the only way to test them. <br /><br />What else should be looked at or changed from sitting... lower unit fluid... pull apart and inspect the water pump???<br /><br />jim

alcan

Commander
Re: old 1967 evinrude 18

Hi jbutter<br />I'm guessing that chunk ( or sneeze) is caused by to lean of idle mixture,(low speed-air fuel). Turn your low speed needle a notch to the rich. If that dosen't work, try leaning a bit. Bottom line, You probably need to clean the carb. Yeah, L\U oil and water pump empeller should be changed.