wiring problem

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently installed a tach and water pressure guage on my 80 85hp Evinrude. The problem I'm having is getting the lightning to work on the gauges. Should I run the ground to the tach for the pressure gauge and should I run a wire from the tach's light terminal to the panel light switch? I also installed a new toggle switch for my aerator and it won't work either.<br /><br />Dutch

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: wiring problem

Hiddy Dutch,<br />You should be able to pick up a neg.(-) dang near anywhere under the dash. I don' know what kind of boat or your electrical set-up you have in your boat, but my boat has a neg.(-) strip on the fuse block. This is where I connect all the (-) side of my instrument lights and the (+) from the panel light switch. As far as the aerator motor,you'll just have to start at the motor and work backward to find why you have no power there. Keep us posted.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Rickster400

Cadet

Dutch,<br /><br />Do you want the guage to light when you turn the key on or after you flip a switch on the panel?<br />Does your ignition switch have 6 or 4 connections on the back (6 for electric choke)?<br />Does boat have original wiring?

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply guys. I want the tach and pressure guage to light when I flip the panel switch. The boat is a 91 Raycraft V-156. The aerator worked fine with the old switch I broke. The boat has its original wiring but not the same engine. The old motor was a 91 90hp Rude that had the lower unit ripped off by a stump thanks to the previous owner. The 85 runs great and its only 5hp off the max for the boat. The new tach zeroes out when you apply power but none of the other panel gauges work. The hot wire is direct to the battery w/ a inline fuse which is still good. I love working on this boat myself, then I can go to the country to fish. I did run a wire from the water pressure guage to the tach light terminal for power and a line to the panel light switch from the tach light terminal but no go yet.<br /><br />Dutch

Rickster400

Cadet

Dutch,<br /><br />I replaced the RPM, volt, pressure guages for my Dad's 83 OMC about 6 months ago. I kept the harness wires from the motor, but installed a new ignition swith and all new wires to a panel switch, 12volt socket and the guages. I'll be on his boat Tuesday June 18th and I'll draw you a diagram -(Cause I forget how it all goes together - but its works great!) Then I'll email you the picture... Hope this will help.

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Rickster 400. Any help would be appreciated. Once I get this problem licked I'll add a fuel/water separator,new seats and good fish finder. Then maybe I can give my dad and me a thrill or two by hooking a big one.<br /><br />Dutch

Rickster400

Cadet

Dutch...<br /><br />Sorry it took me so long - spent a couple extra days with my father.... sent me an email and I'll attach the diagram on the reply - rangelon@bellsouth.net<br /><br />Rick