Evinrude 1959 50HP

prodj50

Recruit
HELP... I have several questions.<br /><br />1) I need to know what the spark plug gap is (Model # 50816),<br /><br />2) I need the firing order.<br /><br />3) In the electric start box, where the starting cylinoid is, there is a clicking sound coming from it when I try to start the motor. Can any one tell me what it's doing?<br /><br />4) When I try to pull start it, it doesn't seem to want to start up. Any ideas? It appears to be getting fuel.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 1959 50HP

Hi, Prod. . .<br />Plugs gap at .030. ignore obsolete recommendations of .040.<br /><br />You need a manual.<br /><br />Too much question, too little info. Explain your problem.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Plug gap is: 0.030<br /><br />Firing order is: (not mentioned in the 1959 dealer service manual!!!!!)<br /><br />If the solenoid clicks, but the engine doesn't turn, I would suspect: weak battery/ bad connections / too thin a gauge battery cables.<br />You don't need the solenoid to turn the starter for test purposes. You can connect the battery cables to the starter to test it out.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The solinoid is the switch to turn on the heavy<br /> current to the starter. If it clicks and the starter doesnt work it could be any number of things as simple as loose or corroded connections<br />to bad solinoid contacts or bad starter.<br /> If you get your self a manual the starter circuit<br />is right there to look at.Manuals are available at the library,At the tab at the top of the page,<br />NAPA,Amazon.com,etc.<br />Have you checked compression? Checked for spark.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Prodj50.... The firing order is (are you ready for this fellows) 1, 2, 3, 4. Use Champion J6C s/plugs and as instructed in the other posts, set the gap at .030 .