Tachometer on a '57 35 horse Johnson.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Hello<br />I am planning to get an original 1957 tachometer to work on my boat together with my '57 seahorse.<br />Can anybody tell me how to hook the wiring on to the engine?<br />Your answers will be much appreciated.<br />Thank you, Rolmops.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tachometer on a '57 35 horse Johnson.

Rolmops -- can't address your specific question about hook-up, but wanted to mention that the tach you find might be a two-piece model. I had an Airguide tach ('60s, I think) that I could never quite get to work on a newer model motor, but it had a solid state unit that went behind the dash. If you find a period model for your '57, be aware that it might need that second little unit in order to work.<br /><br />(Maybe some technical explanations will be forthcoming from other listers....)

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />Thank you Oldboat,I knew there was a solid state electric circuit involved, but I had no idea that it might be a second unit in addition to the gage<br />I guess I should be a bit more specific.<br />The 35 in question is an rde 19 shortshaft with electric start and generator.<br />thanks.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you decide not to go original, but just to have an accurate tach on that engine, I would recommend the TinyTach product.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

How about if I hook it up on top of the wire that hooks onto the cutout switch assembly and then just ground the other wire on the block?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

still hangin' in there with you, Rolmops. I want to see what the answer is too. The old tach I had came with four wires, as I recall. It sounds like your two wire connection should be a little more straightforward. <br /><br />It happens I just picked up a '57 cover for the transom box and have it in front of me (got to get a life....) I see black to ground. I also see brown, yellow and blue (all unconnected in this model -- no regulator, just the solenoid). Is one of those three wires free after your generator is hooked up? I'm thinking that might be a tach lead.<br /><br />will continue to watch this.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello oldboat.I much appreciate this.<br />The yellow one is field, and the blue is armature of the generator.Brown is the power supply from the regulator.So no free rides there.<br />My tach,which as it turns out is an airguide as well, also has four wires,but two of those are for the little lamp inside.<br />Thanks for your support.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had this same question out on the BoaterEd forum several times last year. No easy answers due to the distributor-less setup. Our ignitions are more similar to a leaf blower than to an automobile or modern outboard.<br /><br />Final answer I got was to find a tach which was designed for two-strokes and uses inductive sensing (wrapping the sensor wire around the plug wires). The TinyTach was the only low-priced product that offered these features. Of course, it won't look good in a judged show boat...

sho305

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought an EZ-TACH ES325 tach for testing. It is handheld and clamps on the wire like a timing light. You can use it on about any 2 or 4 stroke and is digital. About $50. I have found it does not like it when the wires are close together like an OB, so I have and old wire I hook in to get it away. I had to check my tach so I could prop right, now I'll check the new motor in my lawnmower...most things only need to be checked, but I was amazed at the lack of products in this area.