55HP Evinrude large lower unit runs backward

catfish7

Recruit
I bought a lower unit from a guy that went out of business shortly thereafter for my 1977 55 HP Evinrude. The new lower unit bolts up and runs fine except it runs in the reverse direction of my original lower unit. The new lower unit has a larger housing than the original. Does anyone have any idea how I can make this work? If I shift into reverse, it will run forward and vice-versa. I have considered using an older two handle control that I could shift into reverse (which would let me go forward) and still run full throttle going forward. Has anyone else tried this? I cannot return the lower unit and don't want to have to buy another.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 55HP Evinrude large lower unit runs backward

Not sure, but I would have to say it is in the control box you're useing. Some boxes push the cable to go forward, some pull! You may need to get another control box that matches up with the new lowerer unit! Maybe someone else can offer other ideas, but if it's totally backward, I would lean toward the box being set up for the different lower unit.You would need to know what is going on back there, in other words, when you push the lever to forward, does it push or pull on the cable? Not sure is there is a way to correct this, other that getting a new box! Also, try to get the correct box, instead of jerry rigging it! No fun trying to figure out in a emergency situation which way to shift! Could get dangerous! Hope this helps!<br /><br />Rick

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The lower unit you bought was from a different year. Just get the shift linkage (on the block) from the motor the unit came from and put it on your powerhead.<br /><br />The other thing that comes to mind is that if you changed props you may have somehow gotten a left hand prop. Kinda rare. Bet its the linkage deal.<br /><br />Good luck!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Catfish.<br /><br />You may have a counterrotating lower end. A CR prop would solve your problem. CR 55s were not common, but they shared the lower end with 70s. CR 70s were common.<br /><br />It could be that the reason the guy you bought it from is out of business is that he a liar and a cheat. That will usually put you out of business.<br /><br />Check out the contrtoller suggestion above. If no luck, go look for a CR prop.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

catfish7

Recruit

Do you have any idea what year the other lower unit might be so I could find the shift linkage?