1980 60hp evinrude help me

sean c

Recruit
I have had recent problems with my 60hp Evinrude. Starts ok but when I throttle up to WOT, the engine is missing, shuddering and bogging down.. On occasion this seems to clear itself while running and runs normally. I have recently changed the plugs, fuel hose from the tank,checked air valve on the tank and most recently replaced one of the coils that was cracked. After replacing the coil the engine ran perfectly, only to have the same problem pop up again hours after. Before I take it to the high priced help...any ideas??

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1980 60hp evinrude help me

Hey sean c,<br />I always like to check the easy (& cheapest) things first......so, I'd check that you have a good ground on that new coil you put on. If you didn't use locktite on it, it may have vibrated loose.<br />Backlash

sean c

Recruit

Thanks backlash<br /><br />I'll try the loctite (removable I'm assuming)If that doesn't make a difference I'll let you know.<br />and on we go!!<br /><br />Sean

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you still have the old coil?? if so, put it back on and try again... if it works fine, then it could be a fault in the new one.. it happens.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank