Engine coughing...

Fishbusters

Ensign
My 87 50 hsp johnson is running fine at idle and lower speeds but when it is at full throtle or close to it it "coughs" like it is perhaps misfiring. The only thing not new in the fireing system is the plugs. I know the gas is good because I put new gas in today and it still is having problems. This started last night when it started running ragged and shut off as I was throtling down then would not start last night. I tried it today and it starts just fine it just is having the problem above. Any suggestions are appreciated. I was thinking replacing plugs but it that does not solve it what might?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Engine coughing...

If the plugs have 80+ hours on them, they are due for replacement anyway. Not just your engine, but all 2cycle engines are hard on plugs. And it would cause the symptom you describe. Another would be a loose or corroded electrical connection anywhere in the ignition circuit. Try looking at it at night, and look for an arcing to ground,from the coils spark plugs or plug wires.<br />They'll drive you nutz, and can damage the switchbox. You mentioned you have all new ignition, but maybee still have the cause of the previous failure.

Fishbusters

Ensign
Re: Engine coughing...

Thanks I will get new plugs and see if that helps. The original problem was only one plud was fireing. I said new but the parts are less than a year old. The plugh were replaced before the other stuff was so I will do on the plugs and see what happens.