Evinrude 140 rebuild price - rip off ?

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Help....<br /><br />My 1989 140 VRO shed a piston ring and requires some attention.<br /><br />I need a new piston (oversize) a re-bore and new rings.<br /><br />Whilst having all this work done I decided to get new rings on all pistons and a complete set of new bearings throughout. <br /><br />The one and only supplier in Oman wants to charge me $1,400 including gaskets etc, incl labour and fitting. I think this is completely excessive and I am being ripped off.<br /><br />A piston is being quoted as $180.<br /><br />Does anyone agree this is excessive. Labour costs here are minimal. I know Yamaha parts are more than 1/3 the price.<br /><br />Does anyone have list prices for these parts so I can start giving evidence of overcharging?<br /><br />Thanks

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude 140 rebuild price - rip off ?

Does not sound excessive to me. I had the same thing done back in 1990 for $1100.00...these things are expensive, be glad you don't need a new crank. I believe on this website you can check what a new "powerhead" sell for, probably $3000.00 plus. I'm sure you'll get more thoughts on this subject. Check above, under 'helpful links'. Hope this helps. :(

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A 1989 140 looper piston lists for 99.49 here in the states. You can also use the pistons from the 93 and newer V6 looper (same cost) if you change all 4. You won't believe how well the motor will idle.<br /><br />Good luck!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

NGRIFF1..... Regardless of whether the engine needs one piston or one wrist pin bearing etc, the engine must be dismantled completely, cleaned thoroughly inside and out, all surfaces carefully redone and cleaned, all carburetors must be cleaned and rebuilt, the ignition system checked, the lower unit removed and a new water pump installed, and I strongly suggest that a new VRO be installed even if it was replaced a month ago (the reasoning being... powerheads do not fail all by themselves... something caused it!<br /><br />In your case, at least one cylinder must be bored oversized. The other three cylinders will require honing to remove the glaze which would interfere with new piston rings seating. The remaining three pistons must be cleaned thoroughly and new rings installed. I would see no reason to install all new bearings through out unless you ran the engine without oil, but all bearings would require inspection.... the slightest flaw would necessitate their replacement.<br /><br />I don't know what the cost of labor is in your area, but qualified trained labor isn't cheap! To rebuilt a engine such as your, and do it properly so that the engine is returned to you in what could be compared to "New" condition..... not "Patched Up", you would be looking at approximately twenty four (24) hours. You'll find others that say something like "I could have done that job in twelve (12) hours"..... Yea, right! Not likely if you want it done right.<br /><br />Bottom line is that the price you've been quoted is average if the job is done properly.

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys,<br /><br />Thanks for the input.<br /><br />The engine is with an OMC dealer. It is dismanteled and one cylinder will be bored oversize.<br /><br />Dhadley provided a cost for a piston at 99.99 which leads me to think I am being overcharged.<br /><br />I also had a Yamaha engine rebuilt a month ago after it receieved water damag ( I help run a dive club). This was a 115 Yamaha and went to the local Yamaha agent. For a full rebuild, including 3 pistons, crank and bearings etc this only came to $1500.<br /><br />A question for Joe, should I replace all 4 pistons. I have only been told I need one piston but 4 sets of rings and complete set of bearings.<br /><br />Thanks guys<br /><br />NG

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I've always made it a rule to replace whatever is even slightly damaged, but if the other three pistons are okay, except carboned up etc, I see no reason to replace them. I have always cleaned them thoroughly and installed new ring sets. However, that's a final judgement call you and your mechanic will need to make.