Need help with 30 hp evinrude

MAKO72

Seaman
I have a 1989 30 hp elecric start evinrude that will only start if I spray gas directly into the carb Then it stays running and will idle missing sporadically there is a faint knock each time the motor misses thanks for any help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help with 30 hp evinrude

HighLines.... Your explanation describes a fouled carburetor. Time to remove, clean, and rebuild it.

MAKO72

Seaman

I was wondering if you could recommend a good solvent for cleaning the metal parts of the carb. Also the little metal caps that kind of look like freeze plugs how are the old ones removed and the new ones installed? Do you need any kind of sealant on that? Thanks again.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Most automotive parts type stores carry a one gallon container of carburetor cleaner (resembles a one gallon paint can) that has a small basket within it. This works very well over and over.<br /><br />The core plugs can be removed my tapping the center of them with a center punch, then inserting a scribe thru them to tilt them out. Be careful not to force them too far in, or to insert the scribe to far. It's unlikely though that those will need to be removed.<br /><br />To install new core plugs, it's simply a matter of laying them into the groove with the dome part of them facing up, then hitting the dome with a small hammer or a proper size punch. THat will make them expand to a tight fit. No sealer is needed.