Rebuild Power Head -- 90hp Evinrude

JIS1974

Cadet
VRO failed. Compression check: 75, 55, 90, 80<br />I guess a rebuild is inevitable.<br />Can anybody give me an estimate of what a rebuild will cost if I do it myself? ...parts, gaskets, fasteners, etc.<br />...what should I expect to pay if I take the powerhead to a shop for repair after disconnecting all the vitals?<br />I've rebuilt a 304 ci for IH Scout II. Does rebuilding an outboard motor compare? ...any suggestions? I have a CLYMERS manual for this motor. It looks fairly "straight-forward". Should I expect any surprises?<br />Thanks,<br />KS

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Rebuild Power Head -- 90hp Evinrude

Here is a web site that sells all the parts for a re-build. I have not priced around but this is a starting point.<br /><br /> http://www.maxrules.com/ <br /><br />Bob

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure the oil pump failed? Or did the bottom rings coke (stick) and then break?<br /><br />You didnt mention what year. Post the model number so the guys can give you a better idea of cost depending upon if its a crossflow or the 60 degree motor.<br /><br />Good luck!

JIS1974

Cadet

Thanks Bob VT. I'll check that out.<br /><br />Dhadley: Sorry about the model number info...<br /><br />E90 MLCRD<br /><br />The clear tube which delivers oil to the VRO cracked and crumbled with age when I inspected it. It had to be sucking air. But, lets say the bottom rings did coke... Would a rebuild still be the appropriate action? <br /><br />What's the difference between the Crossflow and the 60 degree motor? I'm new to outboards and I couldn't find any explanation in CLYMERS.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If the bottom rings are simply coked (stuck) and NOT broke, try a treatment of Engine Tuner. The rings are most likely stuck from an "over propped" condition. A bad discription of a motor that is not capeable of high enough RPM. <br /><br />If your motor is set up to turn only say, 5300 RPM wide open verses the same V4 set up to turn 5800 RPM, the motor is "lugging" through the entire RPM range. Yes, even at 3500 RPM.<br /><br />Hopefully a dose of Engine Tuner will get you back out on the water. Just set up the motor to be capeable of 5800 RPM with an average load, even if all you do is cruise at 3000 RPM and the coking should go away. I would suggest that if more RPM is needed try raising the motor on the transom (rather than buying a new prop) and see what happens. Watch your water pressure.<br /><br />Good luck!