vac. leak maybe hoses or carbs

twins4

Recruit
I have a 86 johnson 60hr. 3cyl. I sprayed starting fluid around hoses and carbs. it seemed to kill engine when i spray around the primer pump,i changed it, it made no change. I check all the fuel and vac. hoses.I found a few loose or broken clamps and made the repairs, still will not excell under a load,in water. runs well at any rpm, but not under a load. If this helps, the thing sat for about 5 to 6 yrs. you hold the choke in when running in the water it runs really well. I think its in the lower carb

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: vac. leak maybe hoses or carbs

big fish,<br />If actuating your choke seems to help the motor, it is definately fuel related. You already checked all fuel lines. How about the filter? Try squeezing the primer bulb while under a load. If the motor sounds better change it. But seeing as the motor has been sitting for awhile I would suggest that its time to rebuild the carbs paying close attention to high speed orifice.

twins4

Recruit

sorry I did'nt say but I tried the squeze bulb it does not help, but it seems to stay really soft.Just asking but when spraying eather around the lower carb it wants to shut down should'nt the engine rev in this case. 2nd i've never rebuilt carbs on an outboard is there anything i need to know Also yes i did check the filter

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

First thing is please don't use starting fluid on this engine except maybe for cleaning parts. It can damage the engine. You say the motor has sat for saveral years so you can just about bet the high speed jets are clogged up. The carbs will need to be pulled and cleaned.<br /><br />Good luck :)