73 Evinrude 50 HP OB engine

73fabuglas

Recruit
I have an evinrude 50 HP the problem is the motor is running rich and it doesn't seem to be getting on plane and it also feels like I'm only half way on the throttle when I am at full. I checked the compression and it was good it just had a tuneup I adjusted the carbs but still can't figure it out anyone ever have this problem?? it just seems like I should be getting more than I am out of this motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 73 Evinrude 50 HP OB engine

Hi, 73.<br /><br />Lots of people have the same symptoms. Probably the same cause, too.<br /><br />The first thing to do is find out which cylinder is not making power. Pull or short out each plug while it idles. You will probably get no change in rpm from one of them.<br /><br />Pull the plugs and short them to the block to determine if there is a hot, blue spark from the dead cylinder.<br /><br />No spark? Swap ignition components between the cylinders to see if the problem moves with a plug , wire or coil.<br /><br />Got spark but no power? Overhaul that carb and inspect the reed valves.<br /><br />There are other, less likely problems possible. Let us know what you find. :)

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 73 Evinrude 50 HP OB engine

I had a 70hp Evinrude. It drove me nuts for 2 days, same exact symptoms as yours. Did all JB described plus more. Ended up being a rubber boot that covers 3 wires (3 cylinders) from coils to powerpack, front looked good, back was all scraped up and was shortung the wires. Removed boot, connected wires directly into other end, and motor finally got power and ran like a champ. Try to wiggle (carefully) some wires while it's running on hose. <br /><br />Also I wouldn't try to run it on water until you find problem, since if it's not my suggestion and it's a dead spark on a cylinder, it will damage not running cylinder.