1972 Evinrude 60HP - Overloaded Ignition Circuit?

Walterminator

Recruit
I have a 1972 Evinrude 60 HP 3 Cyinder with electric push button shift. I decided to hook up all<br />of the accesories ( bilge, lights, etc. ) to a dash mounted switch & fuse panel instead of a spider web<br />of wires to the battery. I ran a main + feed from the accesory ( "A" ) on the ignition switch and a<br />ground direct to the battery. When I turned the key to "on" all the switches lit up on the switch/fuse<br />panel and everything seemed fine. As soon as I turned on couple of accesories and it put a load<br />on the circuit everything went dead including the starting circuit. Now there is no power getting to <br />the ignition switch. I tested the switch with an ohmeter and it appears to be working ok ( circuits<br />open and close ). I used a jumper wire to confirm the starter is working. I am not getting any <br />power past the motor and no power to the ignition switch. I am certain I have blown some kind of <br />main fuse, fusible link, safety switch or something like that. I read an old repair manual which says<br />"do not hook up accesories to your key switch, hook them up direct to your battery". Sure, now I<br />know that. Anyway, does anyone know where or what to test or replace? One reference said<br />safety switch to ground, another said overloaded coil. I need to know what these parts look like<br />and where they are located on the engine. I am sure I can figure it out with a little help. I have<br />automotive mechanical knowlegde but I am new to the marine world. My brother is an electician<br />and he suggested if I wanted to keep the circuit the same; " key activated only", I can hook up a <br />relay to the key switch to operate a main power feed from the battery. I am more concerned about<br />getting the boat operational again. <br /><br />Thankyou <br />Walter

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Evinrude 60HP - Overloaded Ignition Circuit?

Walter.... Well, now you've done it! Blew a fuse, did you?(grin)<br /><br />At the engine, find the starter solenoid and trace the wires from the battery side of that solenoid to a small rubber connector. Inside that connector is a very short 20amp fuse. Replace that fuse and carry some spares.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your brother is right...<br /><br />run an accessories wire from positive on your battery to your dash.. put a decent fuse as close to the battery as possible.. (a good inline fuse is perfect.) that is there in case the wire gets pinched and shorted between the dash and battery.<br /><br />then run that wire into one end of a relay pin 30 on the relay I think).. then run a wire from pin87a on the relay to your dash wiring.<br /><br />The relay has two other terminals you need to use.. 85 and 86.. they are the switching terminals.. one goes to your accessories on your ignition switch, and the other would go to earth.<br /><br />when the key is on.. the power goes though the relay (85/96) to earth.. and the relay engages. (its basically a small electromagnetic switch) and when its engaged, it essentially connects pins 30 and 87a... <br /><br />That way, the only load on your accessories is the current needed to engage the relay.. (very little) but your accessories get all the power they need...<br /><br />Those pin numbers are from my memory, so may not be exactly right, (havent' done it for awhile) but its pretty close and most relay's have a numbered diagram on the side.<br /><br />I have used relays for everything on my dash and wiring.. its a good practice to get into.<br /><br />hope that helps..<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

Walterminator

Recruit

To Joe & Franki<br /><br /> Thankyou so much for your replies. The marina where I ordered the fuses from, including<br />some spares, says I could have blown my power pack too. I will find out this weekend when<br />I head to the cottage and try a fuse. Thanks for the relay wiring advice too. This is a great <br />web site and I will spread the word as best as I can.<br /><br />Walter ( learns the hard way )