2000 75HP Ficht Break In Questions

BoatKid23

Cadet
I have a 2000 75 HP Evinrude FICHT. Absolutely great engine. I had it out to the dealer the other day and they downloaded an updated version of software for the computer. On the hour meter on the laptop the hours displayed were 54 hours. There were only about 7 hours on the engine. The dealer said the engine came straight out of the box and they suspected that the must have left the key turned on when the boat was being setup. My main concern is that the engine management on the engine automatically dumps a double dose of oil into the engine for the first 10 hours. The engine now has over 10 hours and appears to be running great. If there was not a double dose being fed in for the first 10 hours is the engine bad?

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 2000 75HP Ficht Break In Questions

I think the engine has to be running for the computer to log hours, or it would be real easy to disconnect. I sure the mfg wants the hour readings for warranty. I would be contacting the Bomb.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The extra oil for break in is fed for 5 hours of running time over 2500 rpm. The laptop diagnostic software shows if the 5 hours are used up. IF you have a lot of time below 2500, you could have more than 5 hours on the outboard, but the break in clock would show less time.<br /><br />Is the 54 hours on the hour meter or shown on the laptop? The hourmeter will operate as long as the key is on, but the laptop shows the motor's actual running time. There is also a graph showing the time spent at each 1000 rpm increment.

BoatKid23

Cadet

Thanks for the responses. What would the damage be if the engine did not have a double dose of oil for the first 5 hours?

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

Clanton is correct, the engine has to be running (must see crankshaft position sensor output) to tally time on the run clock. There are actually 2 clocks in the ecu, one which adds up actual run time and a second which tells ecu "on" time. The latter clock resets every time the key switch is turned off.<br /><br />Seahorse is also correct about the break in timer. I had a customer who trolled alot - his engine didn't count-down the break-in clock until 40-something hours. IF the engine really had 54 hours, it may or may not have used all the break-in time. Only connecting the lap-top and running thru all the diag screens will verify where it's at.<br /><br />-John