2001 fitch evinrude

fivemiler

Cadet
I'm about to purchase a new 25 ft boat with 2001 evinrude ficht 225 engine. Are problems with ficht technology fixed ? Im first time boat ownerlooking for reviews on engine. The boat and engine are leftovers price seems ok main question is am I better off buying a yamaha or waiting for boat with alternative engine?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: 2001 fitch evinrude

Thee 200-225's always ran well. It was the '98-99 models of 150-175hp that had the bad reputation. You will love your FICHT, it is smooth, quiet, no smoke, and frugal on gas.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

I've got a 2001 150 Ficht so far, so good. Very quiet, outstanding fuel economy too. First year I had it I thought my fuel gauge was stuck on "F". Like seahorse said, the majority of the problems were the 98/99 150/175's. <br /><br />-John

fivemiler

Cadet

Thank you for your help Seahorse and John from Illinois. I 'll be running the new boat this weekend. Saltwater LI Sound and will provide further follow up on my experience with the 225 envinrude.<br /><br />Fivemiler

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

A 25' boat with a single 225 will need to be very carefully propped to perform adequately. After a couple of hours of breakin, make sure the engine turns as close as possible to 6000 rpm with an average load and fuel. The rpm is important for long engine life and drivability.

fivemiler

Cadet

Seahorse, It sounds like you want the engine to run at top speed. Question is, for how long?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

WFO is where they run the bestest and longest.<br /><br />Have fun & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Run it 30 seconds or less to find out where it will top out at. Wait until there are 2 or more breakin hours on it. Boat manufacturers are notorious for overpropping their rigs. Unfortunatly, so are some dealers.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

"How long?" isn't the issue. The answer though is "It can all day long", if you want to.<br /><br />You're effectively setting up the correct "overall gearing" if you will. If the engine turns well below the recommended WOT rpm, it's considered to be "over-propped". This causes the engine to lug, which over-loads and stresses the internal parts. Ever driven a car or truck with a stick shift & inadvertently tried to start out in 2nd or 3rd gear?? The engine usually rattles real bad or sometimes stalls. You're basically dong the same thing with the outboard, 'cept it don't rattle because there's no valve train like the car engine has.<br /><br />The other extreme is called "under-propped" and causes the engine to over-rev or run well beyond the rpm redline.<br /><br />Neither condition is good for engine longevity. Prop it to run as specified and the boat should plane quickly, run well and be much more fuel efficient.<br /><br />-John

fivemiler

Cadet

Thanks for excellent information everbody this is a great website.