Another overheating Evinrude

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey All,<br /> I have an '89 Evinrude 88spl, and like many others it overheats. At the end of the last season the overheat alarm started going off. I had the impeller and pump replace at the end of the season and wasn't able to test until the other day. After about 5 min the alarm still goes off. I had a digital thermometer on both heads and the alarm went off at about 140 deg. Both heads were about the same temp. The water from the pee hole would squirt then stop squirt then stop and so on, never a steady stream. After it cooled down I pulled the two small tubes that go to the thermostat. Looked in the cyl head and they looked dry as if no water had gone through them. I had it tub of water so I can't tell if water was coming out the prop area. What else can I test or check? I want to check some things. The earlest I can get an appointment at the shop is in 2 weeks. That's along time for a short boating season.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Another overheating Evinrude

The alarm should not have set at 140 degrees. If you start the engine with the tubes of for a few seconds at 1500 rpms, you should have a gusher, if you have no water, check waterpump, pressure relief valve.

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Clanton or anyone,<br /> How long can I run it with those tubes off. If Water is gushing out does that mean that the themostats are not opening or that something is clogged past that?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I think I would run it without t-stats for a bit, checking the temperature. You might clear the water passages that way. I believe the low-end temp would be 120 degrees, with running temps between 120 and 160 normal -- would not look for an alarm at 140.

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I will try running it with out tubes in a day or so. But keep those suggestions coming. There can never be to many opinions when a problem can be so many things. Thanks again for all the help.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If you have plenty of water to the gearcase 10/20 seconds after it starts should pump plenty of water. If overheat alarm is buzzing at 140 the temp sensor is bad.???. You can check the temp sensor by heating water and dipping the sensor in the hot water with ohm meter connected. The temp swtich will close at about 200 degrees depends on color of stripe on tan pigtail on sensor. The thermostat starts to open at 143 degrees;

Crabsmasher

Recruit

Hey Dowg,<br /><br />First, I'm no expert, but I do possess the same outboard that had the same problems and here's what worked for me. My temperature warning horn went off at 200 degrees, which I believe is what the Clymer manual indicates is proper. I bought the water pump kit (seals, impeller, etc.) and installed it. I removed old thermostats and ran to make sure there were no blockages in the water passages. Motor ran great for hours and pumped water fine, no overheating. Then I also bought the thermostat kit (thermostats, seals, gaskets,grommets, valves, springs) and installed. No more problem. Warmest it gets is 160 degrees, which I believe is proper. Best of luck. I think its a tough engine. Out of curiousity, what is your fuel consumption?

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Clanton, <br /> Can you tell me how to to get the temp sensors out? I bought the evinrude manual but doesn't tell how to remove it, just how to test.<br />Crabsmasher,<br /> My fuel consumpion I think is good. Have a 20 gallon tank and last about 3 time out maybe 4 hours or so total.