l/u leak from mystery hole

loganmallory

Petty Officer 3rd Class
good morning. after all the work i have donw sealing the lower unit on my 1972 johnson 25hp (thank you all) i have the problem almost beat. had it out fishing a couple times and hardly any water seeped in. after returning home the last time (down dirt roads) when i got home, the lower unit was covered in dust and mud, so it was obvious that some oil from the l/u was leaking out of a plug or indent or something?? just under the cavitation plate. i dont know what this thing is, or what it does. can anyone help? it wasnt much oil, but it made a clean spot one the l/u. thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: l/u leak from mystery hole

Did you ever install new washers in the fill and drain holes? Available from the dealer at about a nickle each. You could also have some seals going bad on the gear case too (30 year old motor). The 3d thought is consider we run a gas/oil mix and there might be residue on the lower portion of the motor.<br /><br />Bob

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

If it's a clean spot are you sure it's oil...could be a little water coming out of the water pickup, or if it's black it would be unburnt oil from exhaust...hopifully you changed the gaskets on fill and drain plugs...anyroad if oil is leaking out it's a simple process to check the oil level and add once in a while...just a Thought

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Im with Bob on the residue.I think the important thing is "is any water getting in?" If no water is getting in then oil getting out is not likely.

loganmallory

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks fro the quick responses. i did change the fill/drain gaskets, along with every other seal/o-ring, etc etc. the "dimple" thing is on the opposite side from the drain/fill plugs, right in the middle of the side, below the cav plate and just above the lower "cap". the entire bottom of the motor is dusty except for a 2" round area directly around that little dimple. it IS bottom end oil seeping out of it. does this help?

petryshyn

Commander

Check the LU oil. If its OK, rock on! If its creamy or full of oil, pressure test the LU.....Let the LU oil be your guide!!!