1987 70hp Johnson Buzzer

flyguide

Recruit
I've got a 87 70 hp Johnson with the VRO removed by a local shop, just purchased this motor during the winter and was told that I needed to mix the oil (50:1) since VRO was removed.<br /><br />While on the lake last weekend the alarm buzzer went off, steady sound no breaks. I checked to see if the water pump was still "peeing" out the back and it was. The motor was not overly hot but I did not remove the cover. After a few minutes I turned the key (the buzzer was going off as soon as you turned the key to on) and the buzzer went away.<br /><br />We took off down the lake and the buzzer started again. I'm not sure if this motor has been sitting around for a few years but thought I would change the water pump. But after talking to local outboard mechanic he suggested it might be something else, few suggestions were the alarm box (I assume this is in the console box), thermostat, or heat sensor. <br /><br />I thought I'd ask here for some more advice. Is this a common problem??? Thanks for any help!! Anyway to check the control box, or thermostat???

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 1987 70hp Johnson Buzzer

Check to insure that all wires to VRO pump and remote oil tank are disconnected and taped or covered. I would remove the horn from the control and relocate to console. Horn should self test with a short beep when switch first turned on. Temp sensor wire should be 7 1/4 inches long to connector, tan with blue stripe. The OMC waterpump kit has new pressure relief valve spring, and instructions for drilling block to reduce air blockage in cooling system.

flyguide

Recruit

Clanton thanks for the reply! The buzzer does not beep or make any sound when I start the motor?? Wasn't sure if this was part of the removal of the VRO. I've tried to trace all the wires and so far they have all been terminated with wire nuts and tape.<br /><br />You said: "Temp sensor wire should be 7 1/4 inches long to connector, tan with blue stripe." Mine is nowhere near this long, from the block to the wiring harness is only about 4" not sure how far is goes from there. Could this be part of my problem??<br /><br />This board is a great help... I post on a flyfishing board all the time helping newbies and sure was glad to find some help here. Any good suggestions for buying the OMC waterpump kit on-line?? Not too happy with my local dealer, if they were an ex-husband I'd sue for non support!! :D <br /><br />One more item.... any suggestion as to how to remove the linkage so I can drop the foot??

clanton

Rear Admiral

Try a search this board your engine. The service bulletins, part number for water pump kit, instructions for drilling block , part number for temp sensor have been posted. If you cant find it e-mail clanton@atlantic.net