Johnson 150 Warm Start Problem

gpetrilak

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1999 150 Johnson V6 that starts and runs fine when cool. If I shut it down and try to restart after 30 minutes it idles down in 5 seconds and then stalls when put in gear. I don't push the key in as I do for a cold start. If I keep trying to restart it eventually floods. It does restart fine if I restart in 10 or 15 minutes. <br /><br />I tried running it in neutral at 1500 - 2000 rpm after a hot restart for 2 or 3 minutes and this seems to clear it out and I can get in gear and accellerate but it takes a minute or so to clear up. It runs fine when I get it going from in gear idle to 5500.<br /><br />The plugs are new Champions and were only slightly oily when I replaced them. When I took off the air box the carb intakes had some oil in them.<br />Also, There is a hose on the top of the airbox with a tee in it. From the tee one hose runs to the block and the other is not connected. Is this correct. The free hose has a plug in the end with a small 1/16" ? hole in it.<br /><br />Any ideas ?<br /><br />George

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson 150 Warm Start Problem

Look behind the ignition coils for arcing to plate on power pack. ?????

gpetrilak

Seaman Apprentice

Clanton<br />Thanks, I will check that out.

gpetrilak

Seaman Apprentice

Clanton<br />I checked for arcing, didn't find any. Also checked all the hoses on the VRO and checked all connectors.<br />This engine had problems from day 1 with lots of metal from machining in the carbs. They were cleaced out twice.<br /><br />Read the Clymer manual, but no help so far.<br /><br />Does anyone else have any ideas, HELP I'm at a loss. <br />George

clanton

Rear Admiral

What kind and mfg of boat?

gpetrilak

Seaman Apprentice

It is a Sylvan 19' dual console aluminum fishing boat. Around 1500 lbs. The engine is fairly plumb at rest and on a plane. 40 gallon gas tank, vents are clear. No kinks in any hoses. I am going to try it again today but I seem to think that when it doesn't run right during a hot start, it seems to me it is flooded.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Where would the metal shavings be coming from...somewhere in the fuel supply I guess? Zounds as if needle valve in one or more carbs may not be shutting off fuel completely. If you don't have an inline fuel filter under the hood I would add one. You may need to go through the carbs with a close eye to get the rest of the contamination out...just a Thought

BassHog

Recruit

I am having this same problem. Did you fix your problem?

gpetrilak

Seaman Apprentice

BassHog,<br /><br />Sorry I am 8 months late in replying but for what it is worth I change the plugs a lot and sometimes tilting the engine up ( not while it is running) seems to help. <br /><br />George