1988 120hp Evinrude, good engine? track record?

Therapy

Recruit
I'm looking at a boat that is equipped with an 88 120hp Evinrude and was wondering if this engine has a good track record. How long was this 120hp variety produced? The one important thing I'm looking for in this boat is a good solid engine that is a workhorse and has some good longevity.<br /><br />Are there any things to keep an eye out for when I look at the engine? Chances are I will be taking it to a local Evin/John dealer to have it checked out but I'd like to know a little "heads-up" before I commit to anything. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1988 120hp Evinrude, good engine? track record?

Howdy, Therapy.<br /><br />That was a good engine when new. Who knows what has happened to it in 14 years?<br /><br />If it still has the VRO, get it disconnected and use premix.<br /><br />Get compression checked and performance under load tested.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Therapy

Recruit

JB, Thanks for the advice! I'm assuming the VRO you're speaking of is the oil injection. Why have it disconnected? Is there a problem with it not feeding enough oil or too much? <br /><br />The current owner is the second owner who bought it from a guy he works with(who bought it new) and says he hasn't had any problems with the engine in the 3 years he's owned it. I'm definately getting a compression check since he doesn't have any clue how many hours are on it. The owner has already agreed to let us take it to a shop to have inspected. I'm guessing that that is a good sign since he doesn't seem like he'd be hiding a problem that he already knows about.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Therapy.<br /><br />VRO works fine most of the time for most engines.<br /><br />My reason for ALWAYS disconnecting oil injection systems is that if one fails, you don't need a new oil pump, you need a new engine. :eek: <br /><br />Good luck. :)