40hp Johnson flooding out

Model # 40EL 73D<br />Serial #J3807057<br /><br />Hi there questions about a flooding condition on a 40 hp Johnson.<br />This is the 1st time it has given any such trouble.Took boat to lake for 1st time this Season it started then died.Then it would not start at all.Upon lifting motor cover it was found that gas was coming out areas it should not..including the air intake on the choke mechanism.I mean it would shoot out of there.<br />Upon further evaluationit was found that if gas supply hose was removed the boat would start and would run for quite some time...but upon reattaching gas line it would die and gas would come running out of the carb and the air intake again.<br />I theory is that the float is stuck???<br />Any ideas what could be causing this and how detailed the repair is and possible cost to take it in??<br />Also any resources on the break down of this engine ie manuals etc??<br />Thank you in advance for your input. :confused:

ole

Cadet
Re: 40hp Johnson flooding out

Hey there fellow Minnesotan, sounds to me like you have a sunken float or a a piece of garbage in your needle and seat. This would cause gas to run out all over and flood the motor. Also when you get it repaired i would also change the plugs, or at least clean them before running.

alcan

Commander

Hi Sweetnsassy<br />I think your right on the money with the stuck float diagnosis. Your motor is a 1973 model. Shop labor is about $60.+ per hr. in my area. And if the shop you take it to lets you of with less than say $300. I would be disapointed in them. Repairing the float is no real big deal. But the repair shop will have to do a complete tune-up and inspection job. Belive me you would want this. After all your fun and safety and their reputaion are on the line. If your mechanicly handy (sounds like you are). Then I would obtain a manual and service the carb my self. Along with checking out the rest of the service stuff. One of the pluses of doing it your self is there is no waiting at your shop. Manuals may be available at the library or you can order one from Iboats,dealer,etc.

Hi all seems I was right.Boat is in shop and carb is being torn apart and cleaned and new carb kit put in.Should get it back any day now.Will not cost quite as much as I expected so that is good.<br /><br />Thanks for your help.<br /><br />mnsweetnsassy2