30 gal. IB tank.- 50:1 mix a pain. Any easy way?

budblas

Seaman Apprentice
My fuel guage works OK, but at 1/4 full, it moves around a lot. I can't be sure if I have an <br />appreciable + or - 1/4. I know I've got to head for the fuel barge but I've got to guess how <br />much fuel to put in without it topping up and leaving no room for oil. And if I put in the oil <br />first, my estimate on the amount of gas it'll take might be 'way off. I'm not thrilled about <br />doing it 5 or 10 gals. at a time, nor are the guys that are waiting to fuel up. And I refuse to<br />use the oil co.'s 50:1 premix.<br />This is no big deal compared to some here, but I wondered if there was a fool proof system.<br /><br />Bud

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 30 gal. IB tank.- 50:1 mix a pain. Any easy way?

When it gets to 1/4 tank, will it read a steady 1/4 when sitting still or does it just jump around all the time at 1/4 tank?<br /><br />If it will read a steady 1/4 tank sitting still and you feel this gauge is accurate, then just dump in the oil that is required for 22.5 gallon and go have fun.

KenOhki

Seaman

foolproof huh? well, There is no saying you have to top off your tank 100% full. If you are estimatng you have 1/4 tank, on a 30 gal tank, You have room for Aprox 22 gallons, simple answere is to put in mix for 20 gallons, and only pump 20 galons. Or 18 gal if you think the gauge is off a bit. Your tank wont be full, but your mix will be dead on. <br /><br />I am curiouse why you wont use Premix from the pump. that is the only other "Quick" & "Foolproof" way. I have a small boat, and mix in a 5 gal can, so your problem is one I dont face, however, my solution should work fine for you

alcan

Commander

Hi Bud<br />First off a fuel gauge on any boat tank is sort of like a screen door on a submarine. None are accurate. The best they can ever do is indecate the the tank is getting low. If possible use a dip stick. Also gauge in your mind Gals per hour. Never depend soley on the fuel gauge. Now as boaters it is allways prudent to be curtious and not hold up the show. There are several things that need doing properly and my require taking some time. Fueling boats is one of these things. Don't waste time, but don't rush ether. do it right. I believe 5 imp. gals. equals 6 U.S. gals. You know you are going to need at least 10 gals. Dump in a quart of oil and fill gas, add the remaining oil at the end. Quit worring about everbody else and pay attenion to what your doing and you will be in and out faster with the job done right. With a 30 gal tank, you may be able to plan fuel stops during off peak times. You only need to load 30 gals, a lot of boats will load a 150 gals or more. Safety is a big issue when fueling take your time.

JerseyJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i couldnt agree with alcan any more:<br /><br />take your time, be safe, do it right. My '91 galaxy 22'8" sport fisher had a 60 gallon tank, and the way the fuel hose was it took literally forEVER to fuel. Take your time, listen to the radio, etc. <br /><br />The others can wait, your boat, motor and safety are more important.

shelbydriver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

YOu can get a bigger fuel tank or a navman fuel meter installed in your gas line. about 150$. Also there is another company that makes the meters but they cost more.