Prop pitch for 98 150 carbed Evinrude

eflactem

Cadet
Just bought a boat with a 150 Evinrude on a 1994 196 Superpro Princecraft stainless raker prop and when I tryed a hole shot it cavitated. Wondering if anybody know the right prop for the boat and motor. :D

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop pitch for 98 150 carbed Evinrude

Michigan Prop calls for a 14 1/2" X 19" Stainless Steel Prop. I don't know how different that is from your stainless raker Prop. what Pitch are you running Now? Ever consider a Doelfin? They do work, but take a few miles off the top end!

eflactem

Cadet

Thanks Rick not sure of the pitch I'll need to get the model # I'd consider any prop that right for the job. Golf's not bad either.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Also, Cavitation is not the product of the Prop. It is because either your Motor is set too high on the transom or you are starting out with the Motor Trimmed too far out. Try Tilting the bottom of the Motor in toward the Transom when you take off and the gradually raise it until optimum RPM's are attained, without cavitation at high speed. Ventalation may be a better Term, but for this purpose, I'll use Cavitation!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

eflactem,<br /><br />Good article on Props! Also forgot to ask what your Wide Open Throttle RPM's are! Very important for choosing correct Prop. Let us Know any info that you can! Meanwhile, read this article! <br /><br />Props

eflactem

Cadet

Is there a difference between cavitation and ventilation or cavitation a Canadian expression?<br />I did have the motor trimmed down all the way, but this is my first boat with big motor so I've got lots to learn. :)

Walker

Captain

I'm with rickd. Especially with a Raker prop. The Raker is designed to prevent cavitation. Does the boat go okay when you take off easy. I'd check the hub, it may be slipping under a hard load.

eflactem

Cadet

I'ts fine when you take off easy. How do you check the hub? :confused: :( :(

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Make a Mark on the Prop housing and on the Hub with a Permanant Marker. Go ahead and run it hard from a standstill and keep on going for a while. Bring it back and look at the Marks you previously made. If they do NOT line up, your Prop is spinning on the hub. Can be fixed by Prop shop for under $50.00 most times. If the marks still line up, Prop is OK! Or, take it to a Prop shop and they will tell you right away! Let us know what happens!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Regarding your Cavitation question: The article explains it clearly. Click on the Props link in my previous post!