1998 JOHNSON 150 OCEANRUNNER ALARMS

mattttt25

Commander
Just bought a boat with a 1998 Johnson 150HP Oceanrunner engine. Runs great,<br />starts every time, idles well, sounds normal, no smoke, etc. After running at<br />3500 rpm for more than 10 mintues, the check engine alarm sounds. As soon as I slow,<br />alarm ceases. No symptoms of anything wrong with the engine. Are these sensors<br />just too sensitive? What does the check engine alarm actually sense? Thanks-

D

DJ

Re: 1998 JOHNSON 150 OCEANRUNNER ALARMS

Matt,<br /><br />It's telling you that you have one or more of the following conditions:<br /><br />1. Overheat.<br />2. Oil system concern.<br />3. Fuel restriction.

mattttt25

Commander

Admiral,<br /><br />Thanks for the reply. Copy on what you said, but I also have low oil, no oil, and high heat alarms that are not sounding. Fuel flow sounds like the most probable cause right now, and would make sense considering I have no "bad" symptoms. Check fuel filters?

D

DJ

Matt,<br /><br />Yes, a service on the filters is always a good idea.<br /><br />Thought! Try running the engine with the fuel filler cap off. You may have a restriction in your tank vent line.

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

matt25,<br /> No smoke? :eek: Is your motor a 4 cycle?If it's a two cycle,check the oil tank for oil first.Prime the oil line bulb if you have'nt already.There should be SOME smoke if a 2 cycle.

mattttt25

Commander

sorry, there is minimal smoke at startup and at idle. i was pointing to the fact that i have no "bad" symptoms, such as excessive smoke. plenty of oil and fuel, both bulbs primed. i think i'll check filters, i like the idea that it may be losing fuel at the high rpm's (although wouldn't that cause sputtering and stalling?).