5.5hp Johnson kicker idle

radone

Recruit
My kicker for my car-topper runs good with a new carb. kit however: It won't seem to idle<br />regardless of lowspeed needle position. Anything close to the shift position on the throttle handle<br />and it stalls. Won't run in the slow handle position in neutral or in gear? Once you shift into gear and go runs like a champ?<br />Can I adjust this low speed (idle) up without it racing in the shift position?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 5.5hp Johnson kicker idle

There should be an idle speed limit screw try to adjust it just so it will idle fast enough to not stall.Have you tried turning the mixture adjust in all the way? It should stall. If it doesnt,your getting to much gas from somewhere.<br /> To set low speed jet turn gently in to bottom then out 1 1/2 turns.Then with engine warm adj. to<br />best in gear idle.<br /> If there is a highspeed adj. this must be set first starting from 3/4 turn out.Adj. at speed to best then slightly toward rich.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.5hp Johnson kicker idle

Please don't double post, Radone.<br /><br />It confuses us and may interfere with you getting good answers.<br /><br />Check out the link at the top of the page, "Suggestions For New Posters".<br /><br />Good luck. :)