150 evinrude ficht are they junk?

eflactem

Cadet
97 to ? I've heard bad things,thinking of buying a boat with one. How much would it affect the cost of purchase price? What is a compariable motor worth?

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 150 evinrude ficht are they junk?

No they are not junk. <br />They are very good OB's with a less than stellar reputation similar to the Merc (Optimax).<br /><br />Depending on the year of the engine you buy the 1999 versions or earlier could be cause for grief if purchased. If you were to buy a brand new one I wouldn't have any major reliablity concerns, compared to any other OB, and that would include 4-stroke.<br /><br />Maintenance is a little tricky. A good dealer will have you bring it in for tune-ups and such since these units need to be hooked up to laptop software for accurate analysis, and ocassionally they require an 'ECM'upgrade. Plugs are expensive and so is the oil, but other than that they are good OB's.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

With respect, Jacques, I disagree. I have come to respect your knowledge of OMC and successor's engines, but I have very bad experience with this one.<br /><br />My son-in-law bought a boat with a '98 Ficht 150 on it. $8,000 later the second power head (with about 10 hours on it) had a second catastrophic failure from a failed injector. He now has a carbed Johnny 150.<br /><br />As I explained in your duplicate post (not good practice), Eflactem, I would buy it only with the intention of trading it.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB, we shouldn't mislead people into thinking that Bombardier didn't learn from their mistakes.<br /><br />I agree that many people bought these engines in the late 90's and had serious problems, and thats why I don't recommend buying an earlier model.<br /><br />You and I both have a preference for 4 strokes, and we might think that the design is better technology but, the DI's have a lot going for them as well...they're lighter just as fuel efficient (if not better than 4 strokes), and they're quiet.<br /><br />From what I'm hearing around here anyway is that the bugs have been fixed on later models(2000 and up). Owners are reporting very few problems with them.<br /><br />Yes many people had problems with Fichts in the past, but the engines bombardier is producing now work well and are reliable.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Jacques.<br /><br />One of the big problems with duplicate posts is that you can't read both threads at once.<br /><br />Check my reply to the first post. We don't disagree. :)