1977 35hp Evinrude Timing Question

harec

Recruit
I need to set the timing on my 1977 35hp Evinrude motor. My Selocs manual has two paragraphs in the whole manual on how to set the timing. It says to run the engine in forward gear at 3500 rpm, hook the timing light up to spark plug #1 and set timing by turning full throttle stop screw. It has a picture of an engine and shows where the timing mark or arrow is located, but my motor is different. I can't find the mark or set point to even check the timing. My motor has a sticker on the inside that says the timing should be 34 degrees. The only mark I can find is a line on top of the bracket which holds the starter and solenoid. Is this the mark? Does anyone know where the timing mark is located?

petryshyn

Commander
Re: 1977 35hp Evinrude Timing Question

When in doubt, pull out #1 plug and rotate flywheel until the piston is as close to the plug hole as you can get. At this point look at the timing marks on the flywheel. Where ever "0" lines up,(or near vacinity) is where you should find your pointer or mark.....<br /><br />I think you'll be adjusting the advance stop screw, not the throttle stop screw?<br /> :confused:

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Timing reference mark is on the starter bracket.<br />Make sure lync-n-sync is set first with motor off.<br />Timing is advanced relative to the throttle position.<br />Timing needs to be set in water not on muffs.

harec

Recruit

Thanks alot guys. I should be able to figure it out now.