Johnson Seahorse 2hp

Kate

Recruit
Mod# 2r79a<br />Ser# e5029913<br /><br />I just purchased this for a motor on my light duck hunting boat.<br /><br />On my first test run, it started hard. The warmer the engine became, the more it lost power eventually down to almost nothing. I tried adjusting the low and high speed adjustments and made things worse.<br /><br />What steps should I take to make this engine run? It is very clean. My novice guess is the gas that was in it when I bought it was old and made a mess of the carb.

sloopy

Commander
Re: Johnson Seahorse 2hp

oh deer.... did you replace the water pump!!!!!! please replace it!!! it is what cools the outboard!!!!

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

The gas may be the culprit. Do you know how long the engine sat before you purchased it? If it has been sitting for a long time you probably need to do both clean the entire fuel system and replace the water pump impeller.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Kate I know you didn't ask, but the year of the motor is 1979. Here are a few places to get repair manuals. Most repair manuals have a trouble shooting section.<br /><br />The Ken Cook Company for copies of original repair manuals.<br /> http://www.kencook.com/kccwww/marinepubs/oml12.html <br /><br />iboats.com, Amazon.com, your local book store, or your local library may also have after market repair manuals. Seloc and Clymer are good.