click! no start???

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a '63 75 hp johnny that refuses to start. I was cranking it for about ten minutes but could not get it to start. I left it alone for a while and when I went back all I heard was a weird click. But it did not sound like it was coming from the starter, or from anywhere on the motor for that matter. There is a box that sits near the motor, could it be coming from there? I am new to boating so even my diagnostic skills are pretty bad. :confused:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: click! no start???

Your starter solinoid is in that box it is<br />the solinoid clicking that you hear.Make sure all connections are clean and tight.<br />Check the voltage at the heavy wire from battery at the solinoid.If present then check the voltage at the heavy wire that goes from solinoid to the starter when you click it.<br /> If no voltage at the starter side replace the solinoid.If there is voltage then there is a problem with the starter.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

That box is called a "starter solenoid". It takes the small current 12Volts from the switch to close a set of monster contacts inside to power the starter motor. Without this, the ignition switch would have to be huge, and have huge battery cables going from it to the starter, from the battery...Not practical.<br />To test, jump the two monster size lugs with one jumper cable, or a large screwdriver. Watch out for sparks. Make certain there is no gas present, or the sparks could ignitite the fuel :eek: <br /><br />But the starter should turn-over. if not, the soleniod is vbad, or the battery is low, or a bad connector on the battery, or solenoid.<br />The clicking sound means the ignition switch is werking "START" to the solenoid.

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll give it a try guys. Thanks for the advice. :p

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the selanoid is bad, could I get one at the auto part store. Or do I need to get it from a boat dealer?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You might want to check the battery to see if it is fully charged before you jump or repalce anything. Use hydrometer and volt meter.

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can get a starter solenoid from an auto parts store. However... a auto solenoid's inner coil is connected to the bracket that comes on the solenoid and NOT the solenoid housing itself. What does this mean? The auto solenoid you can use, but you normally have to cut the bracket off the solenoid and use the "band" to secure it on your outboard. You would need to drill a small hole in the plate on the back. Then use a small self tapping screw and screw a wire(use a stak-on ring terminal)to the plate. Then attach the other end of the wire to ground. Connect the rest of the wires as they were to begin with. It is also possible to take the entire bracket off and solder one end of the wire to the center of the protruding metal on the solenoid that held the bracket. <br />You can use a solenoid from most any ford car.. say a 1983 ford mustang, any engine(9.00). Your motor will thank you :D

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

More than likely a bad or cheap battery; or the cables are coroded or not making good connection. CHeck your cables inch by inch. Pull on the ends to make sure they are firm.<br />If the selinoid is clicking it is usually working. You just don't have enough power to turn the starter.

petryshyn

Commander

To determine where the problem is, do this voltage check while attempting to start. If your reading is 10 volts or higher, and it doesn't crank, the starter is bad. If the voltage is 0v then you have a battery-cable-solenoid issue. You have to start here.... :) <br /><br />
check.gif

jhreed

Seaman

Hey water_surge, I don't know what's going on with the "just clicking" but... don't crank these outboards for long periods like ten minutes. It doesn't help you or the motor to do this. If one doesn't get any response within about 15 seconds, stop and find out why... the starter, battery and I will thank you... good luck.. Jim Reed

carmangary1

Seaman

That's a really nice picture. Where did it come from, and do you have anymore like it?

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you don't have a voltage meter.... Find a 12V flashlight bulb or buy a 12V test light. Connect the 2 wires to the BIG poles on the starter solenoid. when you do this the light will "light". Turn the key to start. Light should go COMPLETLY out. If the light is dim the contacts are bad in the solenoid.

petryshyn

Commander

carmangary<br />I draw them as I need them....do you need something? :)

R_Showers20

Cadet

The problem sounds like the same one i just had and the problem for me was that the battery cable was coroded and needed replaced. So id check your cable also.

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the advice guys. But as it turns out the starter is the culprit in this one. Now my biggest problem is finding a starter here. i tried NAPA, o'reillys and the local marine mechanic, but with no luck. O'Reilly's and NAPA had the same exact manual they were looking at but neither manual went back far enough. My Johnny is a '63 75 hp with the model # v4a-15e. Do any of you know the model number for this starter, maybe I can find it online. The marine guy said my best bet would be to get it rebuilt by someone in the city (Olathe, KS). He said the best he could do for me was to sell me a used one for $100. Any suggestions??? :confused: