Specs and questions on a Johnson 25 1982

shaneb

Cadet
Model #J25TECNB<br /><br />I was wondering if anyone knows what amp the gen is on this motor. I am trying to outfit it with a couple spot lights and don't want to overload the system. The battery is 625amps, but not a deepcycle. <br /><br />Also, what oil ratio should I use with this motor? I have been using 32:1 to be safe, but it smokes pretty good like that. <br /><br />Any clue where I can get a manual for this motor?<br /><br />Thanks in advance, <br />Shane

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Specs and questions on a Johnson 25 1982

Yo Caddo,<br />That engine should run with a gas/oil ratio of 50:1. ( 1pt. oil / 6gal. gas )<br />You can get after-market manuals through the board here. Look up at the top of this page besides "Helpful Links" and click on "Manuals".<br />You should be able to get a factory manual from Ken Cook Marine Publications. They have a web site. <br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

shaneb

Cadet

Thanks Hooty, <br /> I will knock down the oil mix with the next tank. And I will also order a manual asap. <br /><br />Anyone else have any clue about the electrical system? I am looking at running two KC floods at a max combined rating of 20 amps. <br /><br />I know that this is probably more than the motor produces, but it is a fairly short run to the duck blind (15 min. Though at 15-20 degrees in the dark it feels like forever!!) in the morning and as long as it starts on the way back it will have the trip home to recharge. I ran these same lights on my truck for more than 45 minutes once without the motor running and it started up after. But the battery was much bigger. <br /><br />Any clues?<br />Thanks in advance, <br />Shane

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Just do a static test. Hook the lights up, turn 'um on for thirty - forty minutes and see if your engine will crank. Do it in the driveway, an din go hont dem ducks.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

shaneb

Cadet

Thanks hooty, thats a great idea. You don't hink that putting that kind of pull on the system will overheat the gen? I mean it should just pull from the battery when the gen is out of juice right? <br /><br />Thanks, <br />Shane

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Caddoducks,<br />I believe your engine only has a 6 amp alternator. You are right , what the alternator dosn't put out will come from the battery. It won't hurt the alternator though. Does your engine also have a rope start, if so no worries just pull that a few times if the battery goes dead. I really don't know what the alternator output is for sure, but that's the number that sticks in my gord. If you really want ot know I'll look it up tomorrow and let you know. <br />til then

shaneb

Cadet

It does have a rope pull, but after sitting in cold water for 4 or 5 hours it tends to be a pain to start!! <br /><br />Shouldn't be a problem though. The 6amps is about what I had heard as well. If there is no problem overloading it, I am going to give it a shot. <br /><br />If it dies, I will go with a dimmer light. But the channels are narrow and the stumps are plenty! <br /><br />Thanks alot for your help guys. <br /><br />I wonder if anyone might be able to tell me how to change the LU oil. <br /><br />Shane