'71 Johnson 85hp fuel problem??

rocks beware

Seaman
I've been running in the lake with no problems at all. Motor's been great. Today I ran out in the bay for the first time. Everything ran great till I was heading in - throttled up and only had about half power(RPM'S were normal). Engine started acting rough so I shut down and anchored to see if anything got caught on prop or boat. It seemed okay - but when I went to start back up I had trouble getting motor started. Then I would get her started, it would run for a couple of minutes and then die(just when I would be getting anchor up to boat :mad: )This went on for awhile till I finally gave up and got a tow. I feel like a may be a fuel problem. Couple of things of note: motor was completely tuned up recently; primer bulb did not seem to firm up when I squeezed it. I'll replace fuel line and connector tomorrow. Any other ideas or suggestions that I should check out? Thanks for any help<br /> Rocks

rocks beware

Seaman
Re: '71 Johnson 85hp fuel problem??

Need to bump up! Hoping for some advice before I blow more $$$ .

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: '71 Johnson 85hp fuel problem??

After it dies, pull the plugs and see if they're wet or dry.<br />Dry = no fuel<br />Wet = no spark<br /><br />Or, take a squirt can of premix and give the carbs a shot of fuel and see if engine starts/runs.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty