Recommended 70's & 80's Outboards

cer61

Recruit
I would like to know what outboards, members would recommend that I stay away from or lean towards purchasing. I am looking for something in the 50hp to 80hp range, mid seventies to mid eighties vintage. I would like to buy either a Johnson or Evinrude since I have accsess to a large source of used parts but would consider a Merc if the price was right . I have been doing a lot of reading on this board since I have found it and there seems to be alot of questions dealing with VRO on OMC products as well as electric shift in the lower units. Are these things I really want to avoid and if so what years and models dont have them. I think this forum is great and I appreciate the expertise and knowledge its members contribute. All opinions are greatly appreciated ! <br /> <br />Thanks <br /> chris

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Recommended 70's & 80's Outboards

Howdy, CER61.<br /><br />I agree that the OMC 70 is the engine to look for. I would avoid or disconnect any VRO.<br /><br />Avoid electric shift OMC engines and Force engines.<br /><br />Good luck. :)