Poor Power @ WOT

ad4par1

Seaman
Alrighty, here's an easy (?) one for ya:<br /><br />'71 Johnson 50HP, elec shift (50ESL71). At WOT, it runs as if you are feathering the throttle from 3/4 to full. Some background: No tach, new water pump, recently rebuilt carbs, new plugs (upper plug {#1} has some black crusty crap on it now, lower plug {#2} clean), new gas/oil mix (50:1). Usually runs like bat out of **** , but has been pulling this crap lately. Fuel filter clean. Any suggestions? :confused: :D

ad4par1

Seaman
Re: Poor Power @ WOT

UPDATE. Just went out again for a test run. Complete bog down at 1/2 and above on the throttle. I was getting ready to pull onto trailer when BAMM!!! full power and zoom zoom. Well for about 3 minutes then back to yuck.<br /><br />Going up!

Lugnut36

Seaman

The only thing i can say is from my experience with 125hp 1972 evinrude it was running fine all of a sudden i couldnt give it any gas or it wanted to die eventually it stopped idling and died , kept trying to start it and she refused, finally pulled off the cover and found a huge gas leak in one of the hoses luckily i was able to just trim it back and refit it to get it home. After that all new hoses! and primer bulb.

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You may also want to check the wires going to any and all coils. I had this problem on a FORCE and it turned out o be a broken wire under the cover to my #2 Coil. I found it when it decided to vibrate out from under the rubber boot at the end of the wire where the terminal lug was crimped on (or wire cut which ever way you want to look at it). It was intermittent depending on the wire touching or not. ;)

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

Check out that top carb/clean out orifices/check float,seat.Replace the upper spark plug.May also be an intermittent spark problem.Sometimes it fire's,sometime's not.Check spark.Intermittent spark,or not blue spark means ignition problem.Check for loose spark plug wire,etc.Coil going bad? :confused:

ad4par1

Seaman

Thanks for the inputs. I'm going to replace the coils and hopefully that's it! The current wiring looks fine, nothing broken, but who's to say that the coils themselves aren't bad. Idle's fine and will rev up nicely out of gear. It just doesn't want to fire while in gear. Geez, I should have stuck to rowing! :D <br /><br />Again, thanks all!

ad4par1

Seaman

What does that black crud on the plug indicate, if anything?<br /><br />Thanks! (Going up!)