1961 Evinrude 40 dieseling

sharpsburg

Cadet
Hello again all...<br /> Seems I thought I was a better mechanic than I am. Maybe I should be like my ancestors and get a long boat with some paddles?! I cleaned up the fuel pump and carb. and now the engine will run wide open alright, but I must not have timed the engine correctly because it sounds like a diesel at slow speeds. I've already tried adjusting the low speed idle-doesn't alleviate the problem. Does it matter where I have the stator plate when I set the .0020 for each cylinder? I left the throttle linkage wide open (connected to the engine) when I checked and gauged the points. The engine also runs extremely erratic when I pull the throttle back from wide open to half throttle. It drops from plane in one heck of a hurry...the engine nearly kills. Help!!! I hate the thought of dropping $100 on something simple that I could have done myself!

G DANE

Commander
Re: 1961 Evinrude 40 dieseling

Hi Rudeviking<br /><br />Its hard to guess when you cant hear for yourselves, but did you get the flywheel key in alright and tighten the flywheel ?. It could sound like a loose flywheel - you have to get fixed right away. Try to turn the flywheel 1/2" foreward and back by hand ( plugwires OFF please ) and listen for sounds. There are real big forces at the flywheel. Ignition timing should be good if the cam follower is at the "set" mark when you adjust the breaker opening. Its always good to check the opening at iddle, 1/2 and wot as motor boss often is worn.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I'm not sure about an engine that old but you might check your manual and see if it shows how to do a link & sync.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The link and sync procedure is clearly illustrated and explained in both the factory and the Clymer repair manuals.

sharpsburg

Cadet

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I definantly need to replace the flywheel key as it is really worn (rounded at the edges). It still seems to hold, but I don't think I trust it. I'll check the timing at idle and progress a little more logically this time. I didn't realize how much of plier mechanic I was until I bought the Seloc 1956-1970 1/2-40 HP manual. It helps with a lot of trouble spots, but there again I need to consult the Ken Cook Co. for a '61-'62 reprint service manual. Does anyone have suitable original that I could buy from ya? I need the service manual, not the schematic break down of the engine. Have a good one all!<br /><br />------------------<br />Evinrudes-how else do you think the Vikings attacked Britain and visited the western world?