electrical

sea trout

Cadet
I recently perchased a baot with a 1979 140hp evinrude. but I can't get it to start, I turn key and I get nothing not even a click from solinold which tested is good and so is starter. hooked jumpers from car batt, to boat cables still nothing. don't know where to go from there.

dodgehawg

Cadet
Re: electrical

check the battery cables and cable ends for any sign of corrosion. if they are okay the problem could be with the key switch in the control box. If the starter and solenoid are good, then the problem must lie between the battery and the solenoid because no power is getting to the solenoid. ;)

sea trout

Cadet

how do you test key switch? I opened control box put test light to all six wires still no d.c. power, even with key truned on.

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Hello Sea Trout,<br />Have you checked the 20 amp ignition fuse? It will be in a rubber boot, one end of the boot will be connected to the battery terminal on the start solenoid. This boot is usually held together whith a wire clip.<br />hope this helps

dodgehawg

Cadet

take a multimeter and put the black lead to the negative on the battery. Put the red lead to the connection to the key switch. Remember to disassemble the ignition system before doing this and put the key to cranking position. Your meter should read 12 volts or so. If 12 volts is not present there is a break in the connection from the battery to the switch.<br /><br />If 12 volts is present,keep the key turned and test across the switch. If twelve volts is not present the switch needs to be replaced. <br /><br />if 12 volts is present through the switch then test from the key switch to the neutral safety switch and so on till you wind up at the solenoid.<br /><br />if you have 12volts or more throughout the ignition system the starter should crank. Let me know what you come up with.<br /><br />One more thing is this equipped with a lanyard switch(kill switch). If it does and the switch is not properly grounded the engine won't turn over no matter what you do. :D

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class

i just had this exact problem. there is a "neutral safety switch" made of teflon in the control box, it is so you cant start the motor in in gear. ok, the switches contacts were corroded inside of the female quick disconnects, but not on the outside.. so it was hiding from me for a few hours... the color on my controls was red with yellow . so you might try to take the two wires going into the switch and touch them together then crank the key for a second .

sea trout

Cadet

I would like to thank everyone for your help. I checked the 20 amp Ignition fuse and it was blown, I replaced it and it worked my battery is low, but at least I have ignition now. with luck nothing else is wrong and the famly can enjoy the water. :) :)