Evindrude not exhausting water

c.campbell

Recruit
My grandfather gave me a 1970 18hp Evinrude that he has had for some time, and over the past 4 years it has just been sitting, though he has taken the time to turn it over a couple times each year. However, after I got it running, I noticed that the exhaust is coming out of the motor hood (as well as the exhaust port) and that no water is exiting near the exhaust port. He told me that he has run the water out before each winter. Also, there is some corrosion about the motor head. Any suggestions?

horndog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evindrude not exhausting water

maybe there is some clogging in the exhaust system. You may need to take it apart and clean it out. All that gas and oil burning produces a residue which can clog up anything

c.campbell

Recruit

Would a clog in the exhaust system allow some exhaust to pass but not water, or does the water just exit near the exhaust?

horndog

Petty Officer 1st Class

was this run in saltwater? Sounds like the impellar is a goner.

c.campbell

Recruit

Yes, it was run in salt water, but was typically run out with fresh water via a garden hose. I suppose residual salt could have done something along with inactivity. Being that I'm not a outboard mechanic, is the impellar a relatively inexpensive item to replace and does it then involve replacing other items?