95 evinrude 70 hp vro pump problem?

ob

Admiral
just recently on cold start-up after being stored for a week or so motor sputters and smokes from what appears to be an oil rich condition .after repeatedly bumping the prime button motor will eventually clear itself of the condition and operates fine all day .it seems like the longer it sits the longer it takes to clear smoke and sputtering on start-up.It seems as if two cycle oil accumulates either through the vro or otherwise and is in rich proportions to fuel on start-up. If motor just sits for a day or so it only mildly smokes and rapidly clears itself.However,if it sits for a week or more it takes longer to clear and settle out.Was wondering if replacement of vro pump is necessary or if there is a rebuild kit that can be obtained for both the oil half and fuel half of the pump.

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 95 evinrude 70 hp vro pump problem?

i told you. get rid of the VRO and get a normal fuel pump and mix up some 50:uno<br /><br />you will spend less money in the long run.

ob

Admiral

do you have an exact procedure in dis connecting vro oiling system on my motor?

clanton

Rear Admiral

The check valves in the VRO pump are leaking, check cap to remote oil tank, cap should be vented, not sure about this, Seahorse can tell us about the vent. Engine should be propped to turn about 6000 with light load.<br /><br />Disconnect VRO, remove oil inlet hose at pump cover nipple with cap from dealer, disconnect wiring harness from VRO pump cap wires with cap from dealer, disconnect wires to remote oil tank, mix 50-1 in fuel tank. Verify overheat alarm working, by grounding tan wire at sensor on cylinder head, with key on alarm should sound.

ob

Admiral

Thanks Clanton.Sounds simple enough.As to the cap on the oil tank I under stand you to say if it is not venting properly then oil pressure from it could cause it to feed through the vro pump when it is not operating causing a rich oil mixture at start-up?The only thing about discnnecting the vro system that concerns me is this talk about the epa flack on later model motors that were originally so equipped.Is this something to be concerned about or just scare tactic to appease the nader gang?

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey clanton think there is a way to verify that the actual overheat sensor is working? would you test for a change in resistance from the sensor to ground with an increase in heat?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Suspend the thermostat in a pan of water and use an accurate thermometer. Hook an ohmmeter or continuity tester to the tan lead and the metal housing, or ground wire, if equipped. Watch the t'stat as the temp gets around 125 and it should be fully open by 145.<br /><br />The October 2001 issue of Bass and Walleye has a good thermostat article and servicing story in it.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

In my previous post I meant to say temperature overheat sensor, not thermostat.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The temp sensor on this engine is just a switch, normaly in open position, switch closes and grounds alarm circuit when engine is hot, switch with tan lead closes at 203 degrees, tan/red lead at 180 degrees, tan/blue lead 240 degrees, tan/green lead 227 degrees.