Black tar like looking paint on botton of boat

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
I was just at a marina for a buddy of mine that wants to buy a 1989 23' Monteray with a 350 V8. The bottom looks like it was painted with a black tar like paint? Can it be removed? If so how? Doesn't this stuff slow down the boat?

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Black tar like looking paint on botton of boat

Don't walk...RUN!<br /><br />"Black Tar"?<br /><br />I ain't no expert, but if it was a wood or aluminum boat, I'd suspect it was to prevent leaking.<br /><br />On a glass boat??? Are you sure it's not just the bottom paint??

18rabbit

Captain

That is bottom coat…needed as a barrier between the boat and ocean critters that very much desire a home firmly attached to your boat. The better bottom coats come in a multitude of colors…all of them are black!!! They are thick and often look like tar when applied. Usually used on commercial boats (like fishing boats) … it’s more expensive, more durable, and lasts much longer than the pretty colored bottom coat available from West Marine, etc. That black tar like bottom coat is what I use on my boat.<br /><br />Yes, it can be removed and replaced. There is a current thread about removing bottom coat in one of the forums here...sorry forget which one.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have seen many boats with that. It is all the grime built up from being left in the water!!!! Take a green 3M pad and a shot of simple green and scrub a spot. You just might find out that it is not paint at all!<br /><br />Bob

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Too many possibilities and opinions without more info.why dont you ask the owner what was applied.If he did it there may be some left in the can and you will know for sure.What looks like tar to you may be anything from barriercoat to hard bottom paint polished.Charlie

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

It's a boat from Lake George, New York. The boat was imported into Canada for resale, owner unknown.<br /><br />The marina fellow says this stuff was applied to this fiberglass boat to prevent growth. The boat looks like it was not trailered but moored at a dock because the paint on the Mercruiser drive and the stainless prop look corroded and pitted. <br /><br />The black bottom looks kind of "rough", tar like...not smooth like paint.<br /><br />I was inquiring because I want to be sure it wasn't applied to hide a repair or defect of some kind.

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would hazard a guess that it is coal tar epoxy. Usually applied as an anti osmosis protection. Very waterproof but doesn't leave a smooth finish. As a testput a cotton pad soaked in antifoul thinners on it and leave for a day. If when you take it off the paint has lifted then it is probably antifoul, if nothing changes then it is probably an epoxy of some sort.I would imagine that acetone would also not affect it as a further test.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the input guys! ;)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Check out the Interlux VC tar. You can paint over this. As Rabbit says it is a barrier coat and is usually applied with a sprayer.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I bought a boat years ago that had many coats of antifouling and many many areas that the paint had come off and it was just painted over without smoothing.I guess it looked tarlike because it was not smooth at all.With the brief history on the boat in question of being brought in from Canada and the owner unknown---I dont like the sound of it already.I am the suspecious type so I would think something is being hidden under the coating.Charlie