Pitch

BaldLoonie

Cadet
Please refresh my feeble memory: what pitch works better getting outta the hole - higher or lower number :confused:

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pitch

A lower numerical pitch will get you out of the hole faster in most cases.<br /><br />Pitch refers to the theoretical forward motion that the prop would cause were there no slippage. Think of it like a screw being twisted into wood. If you make one full turn with the screwdriver how far in would the screw go? With props is how far forward would it go with one full turn of the prop - measured in inches.<br /><br />So a 20" pitch prop would move twenty inches forward in one revolution if there were no slip. The smaller the pitch the less distance you engine's energy is applied over, which is to say a greater surplus of energy will be available to cause accelleration. Then think of the same engine with a 16 inch pitch prop on it. The engine puts out the same energy but now that energy is only requried to push the boat 16" forward rather than 20". So there is more energy available per inch of forward motion with a smaller pitch prop and as a consequence the boat will accellerate faster.<br /><br />Thom

hise

Seaman Apprentice

Not nearly as "scientific" as Thom's good description... and he certainly knows alot more than I.<br /><br />I don't know if there's any correlation to this; but, a good way for my simple brain to remember it is by thinking of a car with only 1 gear...<br /><br />1st gear (lower number) has a great "hole shot" with a low top end that can exceed your RPMs<br /><br />4th gear (higher number) has great top end speed with bad acceleration (and can bog your engine down putting alot of strain on it - which is why it's good to prop to the higher end of your RPM range).<br /><br />--Hise

BaldLoonie

Cadet

Thanks guys. I have a 17 & 21. Can over-rev with the 21 but boy it is murder to get out of the hole. Since I need the low end power, I better put the 17 on and be real careful. My old 3 litre says max revs 4400 so I won't exceed that.