Boats in Berths.

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Is there any contraption (not a Air Dock or a Lift) that has been developed to allow you to work on your Outdrive while you are in a Berth or at a Mooring. At an affordable cost.<br />I have seen a Sea Pen at our Boat Show last week and it has got me thinking.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Boats in Berths.

Yes. S.C.U.B.A. - Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus. :D

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Thanks mate.<br />Can just see myself doing that :) <br />So I take it, there is nothing else.<br />Any one any experience with Sea Pens?<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

broark01

Cadet

Kiwi,<br />This kind of sea pen?<br /><br />
sea pen <br />Related: Invertebrates <br /><br />long, slender colonial organism of the same phylum as the jellyfish. Sea pen colonies are formed by several genera of the order Pennatulacea. The colony consists of a stalk formed by an organism called a primary polyp (see polyp and medusa ) and short branches formed by secondary polyps. The stalk, embedded in sand or mud, holds the colony upright. Sea pens differ from the closely related sea pansies and sea feathers by the form of the colony. Sea pens are marine organisms; they are found on Atlantic and Pacific coasts in shallow to moderately deep water. Some reach a length of 2 ft (61 cm) or more. They belong in the phylum Cnidaria , class Anthozoa, order Pennatulacea. <br />
This kind of sea pen:<br />
pen.JPG
<br /><br />Or is there another type of sea pen?

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Good comment Capt.<br />The Sea Pen was a plastic sheet with heavy rope netting attached/welded to inside. It is in the shape of a boats hull.<br />Around the top was an inflatable bladder, all the way around.<br />You drive in to it (it is sunk), auto inflate the bladder with air, and a pump removes all water between your hull and the "pen". It fits perfectly tightly around your hull and stern drive. You have percectly dry hull.<br />To leave, deflate the bladder, and pump puts water between hull and Pen.<br />Sea Pen attached one side to berth, outer side with bouys, so it settles whatever depth you wish below boat, so you just drive out.<br />Made of very heavt construction.<br />Still can't work on leg and force of water hold Pen against leg.<br />Anyone ever used one.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buy lots of tools, buy excess of parts, then as 18Rabbit said, SCUBA gear to try to find the things you dropped. :)

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yet another reason for not buying an I/O.