Comments on Renken quality

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class
A friend is looking at an '88 Renken...pics look good and the price is right, however neither of us knows anything about the brand and it's reputation. If anyone here has owned one or is familiar with them I would appreciate your comments. Thanks in advance.

CJS

Recruit
Re: Comments on Renken quality

My family had a brand new 1984 Renken I/O with an OMC stern drive, don't remember the model. It was a 16 or 17 foot bowrider. The block was a Chevy with 125 ponies, same as they used to use in the Corvair. Nothing was ever wrong with the engine. The hull was near perfect from day one. It got regular washing and wax jobs every season. It was stored outside in-season on a covered lift, and then winterized and covered up, stored outside, through the LONG, COLD northern WI winters. <br /><br />The seats rotted out and were replaced. The tilt on the stern drive jammed frequently. That was an OMC design issue. They used a worm gear on a spindle and a toothed arc gear for trim/tilt. The lube for the thing was always leaky. You hit the switch, the worm gear moved the drive. Bad design. Mercruiser's hydraulic systems are much better and easier to operate. <br /><br />The boat was tough. We routinely pulled 4 or 5 adult skiers with it. Good torque. Decent speed. Foam filled hull was unsinkable (though we never found out for sure ;) ) <br /><br />In 1998, one of the pistons broke apart in the cylider and she never ran again after that. But she was a good boat. Replaced with a used Larson runabout with MANY more issues.

doman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i had 82 renken 20" with volvo aq125 ..bough it with bad motor after rebuilding the motor i had no problems with the boat at all ...270 volvo outdrive was great not even one problem with it for the time i owned it ..sold it to get a bigger boat and got another 20 cuddy cabbin instead (sea ray )..still miss my renken boat ..that was my first boat and really least problematic <br /><br /><br />Dom

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

The Corvair used a opposed piston 6 motor sorta like a Porche engine. I've never seen a boat with one of these in it.

CJS

Recruit

The 1.4 liter boxer engine was in this boat. They also use them in small airplanes. There was a turbo version cranks out about 180 horses. There wasn't anything wrong with the motor when Chevy stopped production on the car. It was that book, "unsafe at any speed" that really did it in. But this is a boating forum... Chevy had a bunch of these engines left over when they killed the Corvair line. I guess OMC got their hands on a bunch of them.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Renken was more of an economy boat.Not top of the line quality by any means but if i recall it was not a bayliner either so if the price is right and it runs out good,GO FOR IT!!I think I recently saw a new or newer Renken so they may be making them again.Charlie

leonpona

Recruit

84, 19'Renken was my best boat perfect houl , easy to hendel on the wather , since then I had four bigger and on one is bether boat.......