How Much water?

Laakefly

Cadet
I have a 1991 Sea Ray 20ft overnighter with a mercruser 5.7 liter I/O. I was wonder how much water is normal to be in the bilge after just going out for a couple hours. The bilge is drained after every use and no rain had gotten in. <br /><br />I get I would say about a gallon or so of water, no swimming and getting in and out of the boat either just cruising.<br /><br />From what I have read in here I realize that you could have water getting in the the plug or trim tabs, just wondering about the lower unit area, if I should be concerned or not. Thank You

Osprey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How Much water?

If spray / water over the bow was not an issue while underway and the water is there before wash-down then you likely have a minor leak. Several months ago I purchased a 1995 Grady White 21' Cuddy. First time out, I discovered plenty of water in the bildge.<br /><br />Here is what I found, three issues and it took a little time and effort to locate each one. Once these items were corrected, the bildge is nearly always dry even on the rough days.<br /><br />1. Plastic thru-hull fittings. Visually check any/all thru-hull fittings, both from the outside and internally. Mine were plastic and over time they had become very brittle and had hair line cracks that were permitting H2O entry. If you do these checks right after a day on the water, you can feel / look for wet spots around these fittings and hoses inside the hull. Replaced all five plastic thru-hulls with stainless.<br /><br />2. Leaking bypass valve between raw water washdown and secondary bait system.<br /><br />3. Old / loose hose clamps on several thru-hull and other fittings. Replaced all with two new stainless hose clamps per fitting.<br /><br />Another area to check is the eye-fitting at the bow for your trailer hook. The nut/bolts through the hull can get loose or they can just not be sealed when new. If any dought, remove and re-install using 3M 5200 sealer.<br /><br />Also the round plastic deck access ports used on most boats will very often start leaking around the o-ring seal on the port, or past the outer ring of the port that is screwed to the deck. If they visually look sun baked then I would remove and replace them. You can also remove the screws pop loose and then re-install new or original with a healthy bead of silicone. The rubber port o-rings can also be purchased but the complete units are quite cheap.<br /><br />Hope this helps