Any Special Rules for Boating in Canada?

Link

Rear Admiral
I know this isn't real boating ;) <br /><br />A friend is going to use our kayaks next week for a camping/fishing trip with his oldest daughter before she runs away to college next month.<br /><br />I know from reading here that there are some different rules and saftey equipment regs for power boats.<br /><br />Anything for kayaks?? 9.5 & 10 foot<br />Proof of ownership or permission at the border or lakes?<br />Kayak safety gear?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Link

Das Boot

Seaman
Re: Any Special Rules for Boating in Canada?

Hi link;<br /><br />Yup! lots of rules;<br /><br />Here is a summary for non motor powered Canoes, Kayaks, Rowboats and Rowing shells (not over 6 meters in length)<br /><br />Personal protection equipment :<br />1...one Canadian approved PFD for each person (and it must be worn)<br /><br />2...one buoy heaving line not less than 15 meters<br /><br /><br />Boat Safety Equipment:<br /><br />3... paddles or an anchor with 15 meters of rode<br /><br />4... one bailer or manual pump<br /><br />5...a sound signaling device or appliance (whistle)<br /><br />6...navigation lights if operating after dark<br /><br />Info taken from the "Safe Boating Guide" published by Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the Coast Guard<br /><br /> http://www.tc.gc.ca/BoatingSafety/facts/foreign.htm <br /><br />ps: I don't think there is a licensing (numbers) requirement for kayaks and i don't think there would be any Border issues and thirdly there are lots of "free" waterways in Canada but some local permission may be required from private owners.............

Link

Rear Admiral
Re: Any Special Rules for Boating in Canada?

Hey thanks guys that was a lot of help.<br /><br />Das Boot<br />I'm sure glad you printed out what was needed instead of just the web site! I searched for a hour then gave up. Tried again this morning and again tonight. But learned a lot so that was good.<br /><br />cobra 3.0 <br />Neat little kit. WallyWorld! I'd never been to one. The one we went to (last night now) didn't have one but told us to go to another 20 minutes north of us tomorrow. STill walked out with a bunch of stuff! :) <br /><br />If they don't have them we will just buy the parts and put them in the bailers we already have and use a big sponge to hold them in.<br /><br />I do have a couple questions in case we need to put them together.<br /><br />Personal protection equipment :<br />1...one Canadian approved PFD for each person (and it must be worn)<br /> I did learn from all that reading that we are allowed to use our CG approved jackets if not staying for more than 45 days but unlike down here it must be worn as you said! DUH! Bad rule down here <br /><br />2...one buoy heaving line not less than 15 meters<br /> I believe this needs a float on the end of it correct?? <br /><br />Boat Safety Equipment:<br /><br />3... paddles or an anchor with 15 meters of rode<br /><br /> If you have the paddles you don't need the second 15 meter rope and anchore correct? <br /><br />4... one bailer or manual pump<br /><br />5...a sound signaling device or appliance (whistle)<br /><br />6...navigation lights if operating after dark<br /> <br />Thanks again and Dan its from him also.<br /><br />Link